Sunday, October 16, 2011

Italian apple cake

The best strategy when fighting against an enemy bigger than yourself is either to run away, or to pretend that you can master the situation. Since my current enemy is my gas stove, number one is not really an option. So this Saturday, I decided to pretend that I have always done all my baking in a gas oven, that I could sooo do this. And...it worked! I am positively surprised how well it went. I picked one of my favorite recipes to try to bake with my new oven and I am really glad that it did not let me down.
This Italian apple cake was a discovery my Mom once made and ever since, it became one of those family recipes that is always a good choice. I really don't know what supposedly is Italian about it, and in my case, French would be more precise since I used real Bourbon Vanille from La Réunion. Do I hear you say oooooo and aaaaaaaa and mmmmmhhh? Well, on one of the coming Sundays, I will let you know why I currently have the honor of using such a top-notch product.



copyright of all photos j.


Italian apple cake

100 gr of melted butter
1 tbsp of vanilla sugar
200 gr of sugar
a pinch of salt
2 eggs
100 gr of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
100 ml of milk
900 gr of apples

Preheat the oven at 160 ° C, which as I now learned means grade 2 or 3 on a gas stove. Melt the butter and let it cool off again. In the meantime, peel the apples, quarter them and cut them into thin slices. Now, mix the melted butter, the eggs, the sugar, the vanilla sugar and the salt, then, add the milk, the flour and the baking powder. Last but not least, add the apple slices. Pour the mix into a 30 cm diameter pie dish, or use small ones for single servings. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until the dough has caramelized and turned golden brown. The cake is best when enjoyed luke warm.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite applecake - delicious!

    ReplyDelete