Friday, May 5, 2017

Meals on wheels, Seoul day 2

Seoul is an incredibly easy 20 million inhabitant city to get around in. My hotel was within walking distance of many of the major sights, and so on my full real day in Seoul, I strolled down to Gyeongbok Palace.

 































My timing could not have been better as the cherry trees were still in full bloom which enabled me to take about one million kitschy I-am-in-Asia-and-it's-cherry-blossom-season-photos!

























I recommed a palace visit to everyone. Do take the complimentary guided tour in English as it will give you a great introduction into Korean history. 






















The polyester version of the traditional Korean wardrobe is on loan around the palace and you can see both Koreans as well as Western tourists visiting the palace in the garments. 








In the afternoon, I headed across Han river to Yeongdeungpo Yeouido which is a park area on the border of the Han river know for its beautiful lines of cherry trees.



Lots of food stalls offered all kinds of snacks, but I opted for one of my favorite treats I knew from Africa: roasted sweet potato. The kind you get in Europe just never tastes quite right. This one was sold at a seven eleven.




Colorfull cotton candy seemed to be a popular treat.
























For dessert after my "sweet" potato, I bought some peanut shaped soft cookies that were baked like miniature waffles at one of the food stalls.







Seoul being the capital, you are also confronted with the current politics in Korea. On my way back to the hotel, I passed this commemoration of the Sewol tragedy, a ship wreck caused amongst other things by corruption in which over 300 highschool students lost their lives.






















The flowers were not really dangerous, the just needed protection from a big manifestation that was taking place in front of the city hall that day.

































This guy obviously is wearing the vest that should be mine!! (wait for the posts about Jeju, where I drove a car and got into my first police control every!)

In the late afternoon, I met with my sister and together we waited around 1 hour in line for the cable car to take us up to the TV tower in Namsan park. The lights of the city really stretch beyond the horizon!



































And finally, we went to a Korean barbeque restaurant where the meat is grilled right at your table and cut into pieces with scissors!


First, the Kimchi is grilled, then the garlic and the meat.























Leaving the restaurant, all your clothes will smell like greasy barbeque. Some restaurants offer febreeze bottles to their guests, but to be honest, I'd much rather smell barbeque than febreeze.

copyright of all photos j.

No comments:

Post a Comment